Wednesday, November 23, 2011

[from a high school student] I need advice from people who have career in International Business?

I want to know more about international business. Give me some advice and pointers please





What are some of the things I need to learn in high school?


what were some difficulties?


What top-notch universities do you recommend?


What do you do at work?


How much do you get paid?[from a high school student] I need advice from people who have career in International Business?
I work for a foreign owned business with offices here in the U.S. I'll be happy to try and answer your questions as my degree from college is in International Relations and Diplomacy.





Basically you need a solid business understanding to begin with. Understand the basic concepts of business - accounting, management, administration.





To work in international business, or in international companies you need to understand protocol, you need to be ready to have an understanding of other countries and how business operates in that country. The difference in cultures can be challenging some times, and you have to be patient and be ready to take a step back, take a deep breath and then try to work through the differences and difficulties. The most challenging thing to deal with is the language barrier and the cultural differences. But after working here for over 8 years I would not want to work elsewhere.





I would make sure that which ever college you choose has a wide choice in International Law, Business, and Culture classes to give you a good exposure. Also, if they have a good international student ratio of attendees that is a bonus.





I work in H.R. for my company, and would rather not state salary as it will vary depending on the industry you choose, the size of your company, and your level of responsibility with the company. (Do you supervise people? How much responsibility for day to day operations do you have?)[from a high school student] I need advice from people who have career in International Business?
I don't know why no one has answered this question..... maybe ask it again in a different section?





I am in college, an international relations major looking into international business.





My recommendations are:


definitely study abroad. what ever area you are interested in, go there for at least a year.


In high school, take language classes (btw Chinese and Arabic are the new ';hip'; languages to learn..you will get a job in a second with them), business classes if you have any, world history is also very important when working in other areas of the world. Good communication skills are necessary too.





I don't know of any difficulties, maybe finding a good job? If you want a job with another non English speaking country, be sure you are fluent in their language (knowing more than one language will help you get a job very quickly)





Education wise, just get a general education in high school with the comments I made above, when you get to college you can major in a lot of things (I would recommend international relations, economics, a foreign language, accounting, management, or finance) a lot of things will get you into international business.


I would recommend my own school (Syracuse University) because we have a pretty good international relations program and a good business school (Whitman School of Management). but any good undergraduate school would be good...tufts, harvard etc... check out US News %26amp; World Reports Best Colleges. i think anything in the top 100 would be fine for undergrad.


Then you do a business degree (although I have heard that this is not always necessary if you can get the experience). Go to what ever school you like, not only the tops ones are good, but some of the top ones are: Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Duke, University of Chicago, Wharton (at the University of Pennsylvania), Kellogg (at Northwestern), Massachusetts Institute of Technolog





Money I have no idea, I put some links at the bottom that you can look at. i'm sure it depends on the job, cause international business is still pretty broad.


I hope I was helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment