Sunday, August 22, 2010

I want to start my own business! Can you give me advice?

I have my BS in Business Management, and I'll soon have a law degree. But I know for sure that I want to start my own business. I want to run a company, ';be my own boss'; type of thing. It's something I've always wanted to do since High School...and I've tried before too - although, I was never so successful at it that I was able to quit school or part-time employment. Anyway...I really want to make something happen! I want to start something that would be good for consumers and the community and myself, too! Where can I begin? Any advice would be really appreciated! Even if you could just recommend a good book that I can read at Borders...that would be awesome! Thanks!I want to start my own business! Can you give me advice?
Hi! its good to see that you are taking a road less taken by many. Starting your own business is probably one of the most important decisions you will ever make (in terms of freedom and financial security)....however it is no ';walk in the park!';.





With the right mindset though, you can achieve your dreams...I recommend two books to you 1. ';cash flow quadrant'; by Robert Kiyosaki. and 2. ';start your business week by week'; by Steve parks.





Another invaluable resource that has enabled me to start a profitable online business from home just under $300 is Site built it!by ken envoy. You can read more about it here: http://workfromhome.sitesell.com/online01.html





all the best in your law degree!


(PS:the difference between dreams and reality is desire)I want to start my own business! Can you give me advice?
Check out the Small Business Administration. They have tons of information. Most of it is free. Also they have a service which is call ';SCORE';. It is made up by retired business people would will advise you (free again). Take some small business courses at your local community college. You do not necessarily have to be degree seeking to get a little education. Also, consider working for someone else that is doing what you want to do some day. Get some first hand experience.
The first thing you need to do is figure out your passion in life than try to build a business around this passion if you could, it would make work not feel like work. Than you find someone who is already succesful in this business and follow there footsteps, but improve where they made mistakes.
Start a for-profit organization that helps non-profit organizations find funding. This may sound cheap, but many of these non-profit organizations wouldn't get money without help. You are getting your law degree so you should know how to make this one work.





Start a business that sells, installs and educates consumers on Solar energy panels and other green power alternatives. Market heavily toward new home builders and buyers, and expand a subsidiary for the average or lower middle class consumer.





Build a power plant based on green power and sell your power to consumers who are willing to pay extra for saving the environment.





Start a car dealership that sells only alternative fuel vehicles.





Tell us what you like. I might be able to give better suggestions if I know what interests you. ^_^
You are already half way there, because you have defined your dream, and you seem to have focused attention - the two things for success.





Start with ';Starting a business'; brochures that you can get from most banks, such as Bank of America.





First:


Answer these 3 questions:


1. What am I good at?


2. What do I LIKE to do?


3. Where is there a need for this?





Second:


Yes, get a good book or two from the business section of a large bookstore on starting a business. This will help you develop a business plan, assess the competition, and provide all the legal details.





Third:


Develop references. Work for someone else for a while to get to know the business you are interested in, develop some skills there, and get the lay of the land so to speak. Then refine your business plan, and use your contacts as references. In starting a business these contacts, networks, and references will be invaluable.





Finally, be careful about the ';be your own boss'; idea.


I had my own business for 30 years, and each client or contract becomes your ';boss'; - the person who pays you is always your boss, so working your own business with contracts you will have not one but MANY bosses.
That's good idea to start your own business. Because be an employee or employer just a choice.


My suggestion is if you want to start your own business. The first thing you must know is find some business that is related to your hobby.


Because running business is not like working in the company and take the salary. You must be a self-motivated people. The most important is you really enjoy the business that you would running.





If you already decided what business that you will run. Try to find the model business of that things. No need to be an expert in that field. You only have to know the business model.





For example: wooden furniture.


All you need to know is where to find the raw material; how the process to make a good furniture; how to control quality; where to find a marketplace and then the rest is to find a good partner that is expert in that business.





You also have to count for the break event point and every legal aspect must be considered.
When you figure out your new company, I would go to the competition and work there. See what their challenges are in running the company and then later create your own company without making those mistakes. I would think something along the line of credit counseling. You could use your lawyer skills to write the letters or help your clients by either suggesting Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 or give them the tools and encouragement to pay off their debts. Some type of budgeting for the budgetless.

No comments:

Post a Comment